Duplicate content- What is it?
We talk about duplicate content where we find the identical text on two or more pages, be it on the same site or two different websites. In case we find the matching text on several different sites, it is often of plagiarism, i.e. content theft. Always consider best content writing service to avoid the duplicate content.
Duplicate Content and SEO
Plagiarism is perceptibly legally sanctioned when you can prove ownership. Also note that for the sake of quality natural search results (SEO), search engines are trying to identify sites hosting duplicate content to penalize heavily.
Web sites that duplicate content may:
- Demotion in natural search engine results (SEO).In other words, the copier website is seen back in the search results.
- The complete disappearance of the site in the natural search (SEO).In other words, the site is not indexed by search engines.
- Same content (text, images, links …) projected by two different URLs on the same website.We meet this case for example when duplicate content in a CMS (Content Management System) two identical pages are created with an URL for each. This case of duplicate content occurs due to human error or technical fault. This is obviously not the case of the duplicate content worst from an SEO point of view – unless you have a very large number of duplicate pages in this way.
- You have recently restructured your site and have for example changed its tree and therefore URLs.Make sure that the old and new URLs URL do not cohabit together and create no cases of duplicate content.
- The description of the same item in different e-commerce sites that would be the same or too close.
- Much more common as cases of duplicate content, the recovery of text excerpts already used on other pages or other websites.We encounter this case duplicate content site when treating the same subject using the same content provider. This case could be problematic from the point of view SEO preventing you position yourself high in the search results because your content is not considered original.
- RSS feeds are retrieved in XML format and are displayed on sites across the web.
- There are of course happy the voluntary duplicate, in this case, it speaks clearly of copying and therefore the content of plagiarism.The engines are looking primarily trying to identify this case. Of course, the sites in the case of duplicate content are those who will see their SEO penalized more severely.
How to avoid duplicate content?
Always check the pages of your site
This is to monitor cases of involuntary content duplication caused by your CMS.
If site restructuring, use 301 redirects “Permanent Redirect” This is to smartly redirect users and search engines to the new URLs and eliminate any problem of duplicate content.
Regularly check Google Webmaster Tools
It will tell you the case of duplicate content found on your website.
Use canonical URLs
There are legitimate cases or more URLs contain the same content. For example imagine a product list in an e-commerce site classified by taking growing. Then imagine the same list sorted by descending price. This is the same content but there will perhaps technically two different URLs. In this case, the developer has the option to tell Google what URL it appears to be the benchmark against others.
This allows very simply guarding against duplicate content within the same site. Indeed, the canonical URL used to specify the parent pages between several duplicates or more very similar in content pages. So you offer all your content to your visitors without risking penalize your SEO. The beacon helping to specify a canonical URL is:
<link rel=”canonical” href=”URL”/>
Simply place it in the HTML header of your page, between <head /> and </ head />
For sites created with turnkey technologies, options are present to specify the canonical URLs and thus protector alongside duplicate content.
Check if other sites have duplicated your content
You can make manual checks: to take this text ends at random and run searches on Google. If another site said the text snippet, Google you will go up in search results.
Take precautions before buying the content to a third party
If you purchase content from a vendor, make sure that contract is original and exclusive content otherwise, you’ll end up with duplicate content. If it does not, do not buy and produce your content yourself.
If you must buy content already sold to other websites, to avoid duplicate content, re-work them to make them different from those of your competitors. The changes you make should really differentiate your content from competitors. If you only change a few words, it will then be content “warmed up” which is considered as the duplicate content and thus penalize your SEO.
How to defend your copyright?
Here are the possibilities that Google offers to notify a breach of your copyright or notifying a dispute following SEO penalties caused by a case of duplicate content.
Request a re-review of your site
If your site is no longer displayed in the search results or if he sees his SEO deteriorate, Google may have considered that you proposed duplicate content. In this case, you can ask Google to reconsider your site to try to return to the search results.
For this appointment in Google Webmaster Tool.
Following a copyright notification, you saw your site disappear from search results? You can challenge this decision by visiting the following link: http://support.google.com/legal
Notify an infringing your copyright
You have the option to file with Google a claim for infringement of your copyright.
However, be careful not to be taken lightly this approach. Indeed, if you make a false statement you will have to pay any damages to the notified site.