When it comes to defining the qualities of a good leader, there is a wide range of factors that make someone a good leader.
Below I am sharing some qualities responsible for making a good leader:
- Ability to connect and communicate – Leaders are the masters of connections and communication, a skill that despite being mostly innate can be learned. A leader must have the ability to:
- Connect with employees, customers, suppliers, partners, media and other groups
- Connect their ideas with market needs
- Communicate their ideas and vision
- Ability to inspire – One of the qualities of a good leader which is most often identified with iconic figures like Oprah and Steve Jobs is the ability of inspiration. And while some people inspired with his natural charisma can be taught the mechanism of inspiration. In addition, a feature of a true leader of the XXI century is the ability to inspire leadership in others.
- Commitment – Only when a leader is committed to the objectives of your organization, its principles and values achieve the same commitment to inspire others. This commitment is seen in his willingness to work hard and is measured by the same yardstick used to measure other employees. In other words, when employees see that their leaders make sacrifices, are more inclined to sacrifice when the elusive leader that responsibility. Commitment is a difficult if not impossible quality of teaching.
- Focus – A sharp focus on the objectives of the organization and the results you want is absolutely necessary for the growth of an organization. The most effective leaders are those able to maintain their focus on a long-term mission while dealing with short-term challenges. This is one of the characteristics of a good leader for which a leadership training program can be very effective.
- Intelligence – It goes without saying that to be able to lead an organization you need a good dose of intelligence. Does not need the leader to have the highest of all IQ since you can make up for it with experience, preparation and the choice of suitable equipment? But every leader needs a decent intelligence level.
- Passion – One of the qualities of a good leader is the most recognized passion. Passion is the energy that makes the world go round, making the leader in an attractive one. This is one of the most difficult features to teach someone who does not feel passionate about anything in particular. You can, however, teach someone who is passionate about a wide range of topics to focus on one in particular. We return to the focus is fundamental. Knowing what is important to get the results you are looking for and what is mere noise, it is a skill that can be learned.
- Positive Attitude – Every good leader should have a positive attitude, an attitude that nothing is impossible. It is the only way to face difficulties and overcome the crisis. And while you can teach someone to see things positively and have a more optimistic attitude, people develop a tendency to see the glass half full or half empty early in life. Therefore the only way to change this trend is that the person himself decides to make a radical change because their attitude is no longer useful and invest in a program such ontological to make it.
- Vision – This is what distinguishes leaders from followers. It is the dream. His vision of what does not yet exist can be, how far can get the organization with its services and products. That dream can be fulfilled.
Qualities of a Great Leader
There can be numerous qualities that help someone to be a great leader and had been discussed a number of times. But, here I am explaining ten essential qualities that lead a person to a great leader and an achiever in his life.
A good leader is available and in touch with the people. An important leadership skill is the ability to recognize needs and to respond to them as quickly as possible.
- Facilitating Harmonious Relationships
A good leader sees the importance of harmonious relationships and is proactive creating an atmosphere. Successful results are born of harmony, not conflict. Good leadership prioritizes keeping conflicts and tensions to a minimum.
A good leader is approachable and has a policy of seeking to encourage open communication with their subordinates. Good leadership creates an environment where openness and honesty come naturally without reproach.
- Proper use of authority
Sensitivity to the proper use of authority is the mark of a good leader, who will not use their position for fun, to abuse or dominate their subordinates. Successful leaders used the power that gives them their position wisely and according to as circumstances require.
Good leaders are supposed to show respect for the privacy of others and are careful handling the information they give you because of your position.
- Self Improvement
Good leaders set and use goals to motivate yourself and others. They understand the importance of personal and professional development. Successful leaders do what is necessary to update their knowledge and skills to keep trained in their field. Successful leaders not only motivate themselves to achieve personal development but also to those around them.
Good leaders are able to provide emotional support to those for whom they are responsible. They recognize the importance of encouraging and inspiring confidence and also recognized the merits of a job well done.
- Maintain Motivation and Team Spirit
A good leader provides incentives and motivators to improve the performance of employees and challenge them to achieve better quality in their work.
- Clear Communication
A good leader is supposed to have excellent communication skills. It includes clearly discussing the goals and necessary procedures of a task. Set achievable goals and measurable results.
- Understanding Group Dynamics
A good leader understands the dynamics of group relations, leading without causing conflict and minimizing potential problems.